Sweet Blackberry

8:00 AM Heather Marie 0 Comments




I first heard about Sweet Blackberry on Another Round (my favorite podcast), they were interviewing Karyn Parsons (you may know her as Hilary Banks from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air). Karyn was speaking about her passion project, Sweet Blackberry; as a new mom she noticed there as a deficit in children's books that featured characters of color. It's something I noticed too; when I was growing up the only book where I saw myself reflected was Addy Walker, the slave girl from the American Girl series (I highly recommend this article from Brit Bennett, she explains why Addy is so problematic). And while it's important to instill that sense of history in our children, it's a pretty heavy topic for any child.

Where is the black version of Amelia Bedilia? How about an all black Baby Sitters Club? It doesn't exist. 

Sweet Blackberry's mission is "to bring little known stories of African American achievement to children everywhere." and boy, do they. As an adult, I'm ashamed to admit my first time learning about Henry "Box" Brown was via Karyn on Another Round. Sweet Blackberry has animated features on Netflix too! 

So, what are you waiting for? They have a kickstarter campaign to help bring The Bessie Coleman Story (the first African-American pilot) to life. You can donate as little as $5, every pledge helps!


You Might Also Like

0 comments: